Friday, March 20, 2009

The Truth Around Rheumatoid Arthritis

I have been suffering bone problems since childhood. When my mom brought me for a medical diagnosis, we were informed that I indeed have very weak bones which cause the ankle and knee pains. I could vividly remember the pain this health problem has caused me. I would see my ankles swell and throb with excruciating pain especially in the evening when I go to sleep. I cried a lot and missed peaceful slumber. Worst of all, I had to wake up my mom for treatment.


Over the years, I still feel this pain and with my age, I am very vulnerable to more severe illness. My posture is quite affected already, so, I know my condition should be more taken care of. My family members would normally massage my knees and ankles but the massage only provides temporary relief and so I take pain medications like acetaminophen and ibuprofen.

Since my mom could not really define the right diagnosis given to her by my doctor before, I simply search where all my symptoms could qualify. Too bad, I may be positive of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

I researched deeper on its nature, causes, effects and treatments. I became more aware but dreaded the potential cause of my pains.




picture credit: MedicineNet.com

Rheumatoid Arthritis as defined by MedicineNet.com is an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of joints. Our body has an immune system that combats health problems. However, this very immune system can cause us rheumatoid arthritis. There is no precise cause of this disease. It may be caused by bacteria, virus, or fungi while other researchers say it could be hereditary.This disease may occur at no specific time or age or race. But mostly, it is the women who are greatly affected and who age between 35 and 60. Typical symptoms are fatigue, lack of appetite, low-grade fever, muscle and joint aches, and stiffness. The muscle and joint pains normally occur in the morning and after periods of inactivity.

If untreated, rheumatoid arthritis may last for several years but may be progressive to cause permanent joint destruction, functional disability and other organs' disorder.

I am quite conscious with the medications that we take. I simply cannot ignore the drawbacks of medicines. So, if companies promote their medicines and discuss the benefits and consequences of their medicines, I applaud their initiative.

I took the liberty to check the advertisements on rheumatoid arthritis medications. I pretty like the slogan of Orencia. It gives a hopeful message to those who are afflicted of rheumatoid arthritis and who find normal body movements difficult and painful.

But there are rheumatoid arthritis medicines that are proven to suppress rheumatoid arthritis' attack on the body's immune system and to protect the body from other infections. Thus, with the number of rheumatoid arthritis medications, I would only advertise medications that would actually cover the benefits and consequences of the medicines. I would deliver this message and information through all media possible.


Post?slot_id=

AddThis

Credits

Femikey