Thursday, June 25, 2009

I Am Old and Blind!

I was quite a bookworm before when I was younger and was still in school. I spent a couple of hours reading books and working on school projects even at wee time in the morning. Also, I loved to read pocket books although, my father was all strict about reading pocketbooks. Consequently, I read while the lights were out or when their dim.

I experienced the same scenario when I pursued my computer degree that I spent hours working before my computers that I could feel my eyes strained with lack of sleep and fatigue. I was getting strings of headaches and vomits that my mom decided to have my eyes checked for eyeglasses.

I wore my eyeglasses but only for a short period of time since I found them too cumbersome and geeky. However, when I started teaching, I experienced some neck pressures and blurry vision especially from farther distance. I was then diagnosed of nearsightedness or myopia.

Myopia as defined by wikipedia.org, occurs when the eyeball is too long, or the cornea is too steep. The opposite of this is farsightedness or hypermetropia where the cornea is too flat or the eye is too short.

Studies show that myopia can be acquired through genes or races where it is prevalent among Asians. Further, there are theories that connect environmental factors and lifestyle with myopia. Also, there are arguments between relationship of myopia and education and IQ. They say, those with myopia have 7-8 points IQ higher than those without myopes.

Preventions and control may include wearing of Prescription Sunglasses , lenses or surgery. The good side of myopia is I don't have to put on an Eyewear for closer reading or viewing. It is however, important that due medical screening shall be made so that, myopia or otherwise, can be duly addressed that total vision impairment can be avoided.

I stopped teaching already but I recently acquired a new job that requires me to read more documents and to work on my computer. And since I am no longer younger, my vision is getting poorer. I may eventually put on a permanent eyeglasses.

AddThis

Credits

Femikey